Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last post

When I first found out that I would have to leave the US and go to India, I was furious. I fought with everyone, from my wife to my parents, and even my future in-laws. Anything to avoid dealing with the hard facts. Two days ago, when we were driving around, I was reminiscing about my year in India and something hit me. I was actually very fortunate. Not in a generic "I got to experience things" way, which I do believe in to a certain level, but in a more tangible way as well. You see, I had to leave the US because I couldn't get an H1 visa in the lottery. But I still had a job, the job I'd been hired for, the job in Pune. Imagine if I was hired for a US position as I left college. And after working for an year in that job I didn't get my visa. I would have had to leave to India with no job in my hand. I would have been miserable. The way it played out, I had a job, my flight to India was paid for, and even a lot of my luggage was shipped for free.

I have always considered myself the luckiest person in the world. Again, not in an abstract way, but with the knowledge that things happened to me that were so improbable and yet so wonderful. So it's not hard for me to see the silver lining in this "vanavasam".

I really enjoyed keeping this blog. In many ways this is what helped me keep my sanity. I hope the loyal readers have enjoyed reading it as well. I will leave with this thought - the future is never as bad as you fear it. It however can be much better than you dream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lemonade 1, Lemons 0!