Sunday, September 20, 2009

A man date

I went on a date last night and I'm pretty sure I was the girl. I got asked out by this guy to a bar. I got picked up by him. He laughed excessively at everything I said and after he dropped me off he said he'd call me later.

Now, to be fair to everyone, I should mention that it was probably more of a man date. But the dynamics of the whole thing were very similar to a guy persistently asking out a girl. Maybe it's because I've been watching "How I Met Your Mother" but I immediately thought about the episode where the guys head out to a gay bar and after the initial thrill of being hit on, find it very annoying after they keep getting hit on.

It's my realtor, the guy who helped me find my current apt. I used to see him once a month to pay the rent and he's not a weird guy. It's just that he and I have very little in common. But a few months after I moved to this city he started calling to see if I wanted to hang out. First it was for post-dinner walks. Later he got to asking me if I wanted to visit some neighboring cities. I'm pretty sure he was just bored and wanted a dude to hang out with. (Either that or my gaydar is just totally non-existent.) I tried to ignore his calls for a while and tried to make it up to him by visiting him in his office but I couldn't keep doing that. So finally I just decided to call him and let him know that I was up for checking out the Navratri mela nearby. I figured this was a safe neutral location with lots of things to do and no place for awkward conversations.

He said he's be ready to go at 8pm. And then at 8pm he called and switched the plan to hang out at a bar. I was pissed because, not only did I not want to drink, a one-on-one at a bar was exactly the type of social situation I was trying to avoid and he had successfully outwitted me! It was quite bad. He didn't have his own vehicle and so we took an auto, except that he misjudged the frequency of the vehicles and I had to walk quite a bit before getting into one. On the way back, we had to walk all the way back home. The bar was full of smokers. And the icing on the cake was the phone call from another friend.

This friend from work called me when I was there and I told him where I was. "Oh you should have let me know, I would have joined." I wanted to let him know that this evening was quite lame because of the company I had and said (in English), "Oh you wouldn't have fun here. I'll explain later." I knew that the guy sitting in front of me spoke English but I assumed that he wouldn't be able to understand much or just wouldn't be listening in on the conversation. Boy, was I wrong! "Something wrong with this place, you don't like it? You're not having fun?" he asked me as soon as I got off the phone. Thank God for my improv skills - I quickly made up some excuse about how my other friend wasn't a drinker and that non-drinkers are lame and that they would bum the rest of us "cool drinking people" etc, and I just kept talking and changed the subject to my IIT days and then to my life in the US. I just kept talking till he bought it. Atleast I think he bought it.

When I did a post-game of this evening with my friends later, they suggested that I might have to go on another "date" with this guy to convince him that I wasn't bored. Seriously, is this how annoying it is for girls who get pursed by guys?

1 comment:

Kiran said...

What's that popular phrase... "You know how I know you are gay ?"