Monday, September 14, 2009

Mom will stay at home

This post is a bit out of place for this blog but not too much so.

A few months ago, when I visited Hyderabad to see my parents, I had a big discussion with my father. The topic was - how much freedom should he give mom in terms of traveling etc. Dad was of the opinion that since mom has been relatively sheltered all her life, he wouldn't feel comfortable letting her go and do stuff by herself. I was trying to make the case that mom would never learn to do things herself if she remained sheltered. So I gave him a hypothetical. I told him that should mom come and stay with me in the US at some point in the future, I would let her roam the neighborhood as much as she wanted at the risk of her getting lost. Dad was aghast that I would do that.

That was a few months ago. Now I read this story.

http://nymag.com/news/features/59009/

Now, I'm not so sure anymore. Now, mom's English is much better than this Nepali woman's and she's been in the US for a month or so and she has an idea of the sizes of the cities involved etc. But even so, if I let her go walking, I think I'd give her a traceable iPhone or something.

2 comments:

uma ramadorai said...

That is a pretty scary article, someone getting lost in NY with language trouble and no money. nice of the cab driver. But aththayya will be in a much better position, as she can speak and understand english and has a much stronger will :). [Not to say you can let her get lost]

uma ramadorai said...

Not to mention the $5000 worth gold she was wearing, walking along isolated cemetery?