Saturday, October 31, 2009

A hot streak

Gambling and, more importantly, winning while gambling, is a huge rush for me. I used to play poker and made myself stop because I couldn't trust myself to not keep buying in :) Once I was playing pool with a friend and was losing with close margins. Then he suggested we "make it interesting" and convinced me to wager on the next round and immediately I started winning.

Of course, I love betting on random trivial things and it's always sweet when I win. After coming here, here's a summary of the wagers I've made and their results -

1. Wagered that the Jet Li movie that had him in a dog collar was not called "Danny the dog" but was called "Unleashed" instead. Turned out it was called "Danny the dog" outside the US. I could have claimed that I wasn't wrong on this one but I still paid up. The bet was a pizza. I think I wrote about this in the blog earlier.
2. This guy at work was working hard on his abs, his aim was/is to get a six-pack. I wagered that he wouldn't even be able to get a "flat stomach" by Diwali and won a dinner at Barbeque Nation.
3. I'm training another guy on some stuff and I gave him "homework" over a weekend which he promised he would complete. So I asked him to bring either the homework or a Coke to work - he did.
4. There's a girl at work who's a graduate of some culinary institute and she was cooking some chicken at a friend's house. She said that marinating was primarily a process to tenderize the meat and I said that it was meant to add flavor to the meat. I won Rs. 50 there.
5. This one is a little too technical but I won two drinks from a guy about how a certain model we'd made works.

A couple of bets that didn't go all the way through -

1. While at the food court a local mall, one guy said that he would just stand up and dance in the middle of the food court for 5 mins if someone paid him Rs. 500. Another friend and I said that we would put up the money if he did it but if he chickened out halfway through, he'd have to pay us. He decided not to go through with the bet. (This had a strong similarity to "Kramer's bet with Jerry about finishing a project" and then not paying because he "could have done it, but decided not to".)
2. While at the mela recently, another guy said that he would pose in an obscene fashion with one of the props at the mela for one whole minute for Rs. 200 and a couple of times that we went to the mela we came close to shaking on the bet but stopped short each time.

The point is, somehow I've got the reputation at work of someone who wins all his wagers and now people have stopped betting with me. I don't think it'll last, but for now, I'm off the gambling high. For now.

No comments: