Friday, October 16, 2009

"Please remove all metallic items you may be carrying - keys, loose change...holy s***!!!"

After Palika Bazaar, I got into my cab and reached the airport. At the airport, while checking in my luggage, I saw a sign at the counter that said that while a set of items was allowed in check-in, it would be better if they were declared ahead of time. Remember the gun-shaped butane lighter I purchased for Rs. 400? I didn't to have any trouble because of that and I told the girl at the counter in very clear terms that I had a "gun-shaped lighter" in my luggage. She simply said, "No problem." I told her again, "Are you sure it's not a problem?" At this point she turned to the porter that puts the luggage on the conveyor belt and asked him what he thought and even he said that it wouldn't be a problem. So I didn't think much of it at that point.

I got my security check done and I was typing up some emails when about 15 mins later I heard my name being called over the PA system! At first I was embarrassed and it took me a second to realize that no one there knew who I was. So I packed up and went to the gate I was paged to. There the agent from the airline took me aside and in a low voice asked me, "Sir, are you carrying a weapon in your luggage?" I was half-amused and half-angry. I explain that it wasn't a weapon, just a lighter. He asked me if I declared this during check-in. I explained to him in no uncertain terms that I did. Then he took me all the way back to the baggage check area, canceling my boarding pass on the way.

Once we got there another four agents joined us. Evidently this was as exciting as things had been all day. One of them was from Hyderabad! He asked me if I spoke the language and then proceeded to tell me again that this item was prohibited. I explained to him what I explained to the others. They believed me of course but then they told me that lighters were in fact not allowed in check-in baggage. I think they just made up that rule on the spot but I didn't want to argue too much. They said that they'd have to discharge my lighter and I let them. After being satisfied with the rest of the contents of my baggage, they assured me that neither I nor my bag would miss the flight. The first agent then personally got me a new boarding pass, accompanied me through a sort of express security check and walked me all the way to my gate.

Along the way I asked him if guns were allowed. Turns out guns are alright if you had the right documents to go with the guns (but fake guns like mine aren't!). What about VIPs and their entourages, I asked. Apparently VIPs don't even enter the airport lounges to being with, they are ushered directly to the flight through a separate gate. Very informative and all that. I couldn't be too mad at the airline either but I was hoping they'd upgrade me to first class to make up for the "inconvenience" they put me through, but I just couldn't get myself to ask for it.

No comments: