Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What a difference a manager makes

We have a new manager. This marks a sad day in the history of this blog since I can no longer use the word "manager" in the same sentence as "idiot", "incompetent", "joker" etc. The new guy is at about 80% of what I'd like in an ideal manager. He knows his stuff when it comes to the tools we use. He has experience in the field and he is utterly no nonsense. I'm enjoying working with him and am loving picking his brains on various work-related topics. What I've discovered, and this is hardly new, is that for a job to be fun, both the manager and the employee should be at the same level of seriousness and willingness to work. In this case I think that is 100% true. On the flip side, he's a little weak in the fundamentals and is a little too stubborn in some situations. Today I wasted two hours trying to convince him that he is wrong and that we should solve the problem my way. Ultimately I gave up and just waited for him to leave, did the problem my way and finished the assignment. In the olden days I could easily convince my boss that I was right (if I was right). But now if the new manager also disagree with me, since my boss respects him quite a bit, I have to fight a lot to make my point. I can't complain too much since the guy before him had no idea what the hell was going on anyway and ... well, you know enough about how that guy was, I don't need to bring it up again.

On a related note, it's obscene how excited I get about work these days. The last days in particular I've been practically giddy at the thought of doing the work and discussing the ins and outs of the problem with my boss and my manager. Of course that just means I'll get promoted since "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence".

No comments: