Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The gods of traffic karma strike!

It's that every now and again - not often, but occasionally - you get to be a part of justice being done. That really is quite a thrill when that happens. - Philadelphia

Like most people who suffer from road rage, I picture horrible things happening to people who I feel have done me wrong on the road. However even I will admit that it's just me taking it personally and even that I might share some of the responsibility for the wrongdoing. However I save my worst curses for those who are objectively bad and rash drivers. A motorcyclist might be driving two lanes away from me but if I see him weaving in and out at 25 mph above the rest of the traffic, I wish horrible things upon him. A crazy college kid in a truck trying to show off for his friends, shooting down some campus road at twice the speed limit, I truly pray bad things happen to him. It's because these people are putting everyone on the road at risk with little concern for those people or their families.

Today, I got the satisfaction of seeing said horrible things actually happen.

My folks and I were driving in a neighborhood in moderate traffic when I heard some motorcycle honking excessively. Considering how common it is to hear people honking in India, you should get an idea of how incessantly he was honking. I turned around and saw this guy driving what looked to be a souped up motorcycle, pull up really fast behind us. He was clearly trying to clear out traffic by honking so he could continue to zip down the road. My mental cursing and ill-wishing started immediately. Even as I was gnashing my teeth, the guy, who had passed us, revved up his bike really fast and even did an out-of-control wheelie. Thing is, I think he was new to riding that bike. He couldn't control the bike and hit a car from behind during his unintentional wheelie. I thought, good, he got his. But the traffic gods were not done. After he hit the car he veered off into the other side and went right under a truck coming from the other side. Yes! Luckily for that idiot, he managed to walk away from that crash. Of course, that only meant that everyone on the road, including my dad, felt free to let the scolding and shouting fly.

After a rather crappy couple of days, that really made my day.

No comments: