Sunday, January 31, 2010

The breakup

I am not really a breaking-up kinda guy. For better or for worse I
have never had to break up with anyone. Till today. Today I had to
tell my apt broker that I'm leaving Chandigarh. If you remember, this
is the guy that is constantly "asking me out". I hope he just thinks
of me as a friend but it's very hard to tell. Normally I make friends
quite easily but this guy is the boring human being on the planet. He
and I have virtually nothing in common. Even cricket, which is usually
a safe topic, is something he doesn't follow. So debating Libertarian
policies and "going for it on fourth down" are definitely out of the
question. And I have consciously avoided "leading him on" as a friend
but at the same time, I didn't want to just ignore him since he is my
broker after all and I want my security deposit refunded as cleanly as
possible when I leave.

I never hid my intentions to leave C'garh but still, as I walked into
his office today to tell him, I was very conscious of those puppydog
eyes looking at me. "Tussi na jaao". "It's not you, it's me. Well it's
my wife actually." Man, I hope I never have to do that again.

No comments: