Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The end of an era (possibly)

It's been a hell of a time. 18 months. When I first heard I would have to live in India for a while I was in shock. I was in denial. I was pissed off as hell. But I did go. And while I wouldn't say "I would do it all over again", I definitely have learned a lot. About myself and my home country. I got to live in two cities that I had never visited before. Visited parts of the country that I didn't think I'd ever visit and met people that I wouldn't have met otherwise. Got to learn a LOT about Indian cultures that are not Telugu. Spent quality time with relatives, particularly my cousins.

The journey back was hell. I missed a piece of baggage that had ALL my certificates, about 2 kilos of silver, two gold coins, my camera, a couple of expensive gift cards and so on. Luckily it came home with a valuable lesson.

The first week back in Austin has been good. I have been driving the lady of the house crazy with my statements like "Oh wow, I forgot about ... " or "Oh man, I missed ...". She keeps saying, "It's only been 18 months, you can't possibly have forgotten all this stuff." Well I haven't forgotten as such. It's just new and fun.

No comments: