Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Finally being a movie buff pays off

I was hanging out with my cousin who was in town (Hyderabad). We were walking around the Abids area when I remarked that it was hot and we should probably duck into a mall for a bit. As we walked in I saw a girl in a very short dress. I thought to myself, "I know India is progressing but this is clearly overkill for a hot Sunday afternoon trip to the mall." Turned out she was promoting a channel called "Sony Pix" and they were quizzing people on Hollywood trivia.

She opened it up to the general public and asked "What's the name of the character that Jennifer Aniston plays on Friends?" I thought OK, here comes the stampede. But after no one stepped up, I turned to my cousin and told her that I'd give her the answer and she could go pick up the prize. And she did.

Then the hostess announced a real quiz and again after waiting for the rush which didn't come, I decided to step up on to the stage. I was up against another guy called Satish. The quiz was to be a buzzer-type quiz where you shouted out "Pix" if you knew the answer. And long story short I killed. I was shouting out the answers before she could give the choices. Captures from the movies. Clips from the movies. At one point she politely asked me if she could ask the other guy to answer even though I shouted out "Pix" first. And he got it wrong. It went on for a while and in the end she didn't even quite do the tally.  The organizers were just shocked that we'd won both the big prizes between us.

They gave me a big red box. Since my cousin had earlier won a couple of DVDs, I thought I'd won a set of 10 DVDs or something. Turned out it was a diary with trivia and photos from movies. They did say that they were going to have another contest later in the evening with MP3 players and DVD players as prizes. But my cousin only wanted to go if I assured her that I'd win! Oh well, I thought, it's better to go out on top rather than risk losing the shock value I created there.

1 comment:

NRP said...

What an awesome story!

Reminds me how you'd "kill" even here on the most random trivia (e.g., - Hey who's that guy with Colin Farrell "In Bruge"? - Oh, Brendan Gleeson! He was in X, Y and Z...)

I feel so bad for that kid! Bet you wouldn't have gone easy on him were it not for the host ;-)