Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gah!! I missed the Super Bowl

I know, the Super Bowl was so long ago that you can't even remember the funniest ads anymore. And even though it's been that long since I DID NOT watch it, there's a reason I'm complaining now.

And I was so close too. You see, I was supposed to visit Hyderabad during the SB weekend and come back to Pune Monday morning. Which meant that right at kickoff, I'd be in a bus, and so I was quite upset with that. But (for reasons I'll explain later) I ended up being in Hyderabad for Sunday night. I perked up and thought to myself, "Not bad, atleast I'll watch the SB." So I spent a few hours on Sunday searching the internet to see what channel in India would be carrying the SB. It didn't matter. My dad told me that our cable TV provider in Hyderabad actually relayed only one sports channel (#58 on our TV), and he selected what channel would actually be carried. So even though we technically had access to Neo Sports, ESPN, TEN sports etc, at any given time, #58 would be carrying only one of those. In fairness to the provider he did a good job of selecting which sports channel to show and he has been showing all the relevant cricket matches and the occasional soccer (Football here) and tennis matches. But "relevant" probably didn't include the Super Bowl since when I woke up on Monday morning (Sunday night, CST) I couldn't find the SB.

I suppose I could live with that and chalk it up as one of the problems with living in India. But since that day I've seen the UConn-Duke game, the NBA All-Star game along with a bunch of races and even beach volleyball. Somehow this operator was smart enough to show me most of what I was hoping he'd show me but missed out on showing the Super Bowl! Well atleast I got to download all the Super Bowl ads and watch them here. I really enjoyed watching the ETrade baby.

No comments: