Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Can't fight the grease

Last night I went out for a little shopping and decided to grab a quick snack in lieu of my usual dinner. I choose Pav Bhaji and if I die of heart attack today, you know that was the culprit. This is how the guy over there made it. He scraped in some of the mashed up curry and cooked it in a few teaspoons of butter. He took a big slab of panner, about the size of his hand and diced it and added it to the curry. He topped it off with another cube of butter. Then he added, I swear to God, an entire stick of butter to the pan, and toasted the bread in it till it absorbed all the butter! I guess I have to admire the fact that the restaurant is able to provide such a high-calorie meal for only Rs. 25. I mean, for someone who has to perform manual labor, this meal would be a cheap source of a high number of calories. But for someone like me, it was a nightmare.

It was mistake in the end. I should have learned from my previous visit to this store. I had lunch here a few weeks ago and that was unforgettable. Four chapathis soaked in butter on each side. A dal makhani with a cube of butter melting into it slowly. A shahi panner which itself would have enough calories for a day. A saag panner which, far from being healthy, was served with two finger lenghts of panner cubes on top. Not to mention the dessert. How do the people here eat like this and survive, let alone be thin?

1 comment:

uma ramadorai said...

I guess most of that community is into physical work/labor...thats why.