Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where's a corrupt officer when you need one?

As a part of my Visa application, I need certification from a police station that tells the US embassy that I have a clean (or no) record. So I work my butt off trying to figure out where to go to with my application, somehow get to the courthouse in the killer heat and find the office I need to deal with. "No problem" they tell me, "Just show us one of ..." and recites a list of documents I don't have with me because I have been in this apartment for a very short period of time. I was pretty shocked, since this might delay my visa application.

What was weird was that I kept hoping he would pull the routine I'm so used to - "Hmm, sorry sir, you know how it is .... you know, there is one way...it'll cost you a bit though". Nope. I'd heard the cops in Chadigarh were honest but this is unsettling. I was really hoping to just handle the matter then and there but apparently these know only the "right way" to do things. Damn it.

No comments: