Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Disgusting eating practices

At lunch the other day, I was eating with a colleague who's North Indian. It struck me as weird and frankly disgusting that he was using both his hands to eat his chapathi. He'd hold it with one hand and tear off a piece with the other. From my childhood I'd been told not to use the left hand while eating, except for holding the glass of water to drink. In our family, and I think in all S. Indian families, we learn how to tear off pieces of dosas, puris and chapathis with one hand (use the last couple of fingers to pin it against the plate and then use the thumb, forefinger to tear off a piece). So yeah, when I saw this guy use his left hand (well-washed) I couldn't help wince. Till I saw him wincing. He was looking at me as I was eating my rice. I was eating with his hands, while he was using his spoon. He clearly thought that THAT was digusting! I guess that taught me not to judge eating practices.

No comments: