Wednesday, February 3, 2010

DO NOT. DOUBT. MY. MATH.

As arrogant as I come off as, I am terrified of making mistakes. Because I HATE IT when I'm wrong. Having said that, there's nothing I hate more than when someone suspects the accuracy of my work without giving me the benefit of doubt.

I had a face-off with my current manager a few months ago, when I did make a mistake. The mistake was mostly my fault, and while there were redeeming circumstances, I take the blame. The mistake itself wasn't big, it was just compounded by the fact that it happened during this particular analysis, because it took so long to run the analysis each time we made a change. But from that day on, I felt like he's been constantly suspicious of the quality of my work. He's always checking my work and asking me insultingly detailed questions about if I'd checked my own work. I put up with it because, well, I'd earned it. But I think I'd more than redeemed myself with the quality of my work before and after that incident. But it doesn't seem to be enough for him.

Today the younger engineer was working on a project that I'd worked on about four months ago. (The customer wanted some modifications done to the structure and we were trying to see how much these mods would help.) Over the course of today's work, they came upon a certain calculation I'd performed to calculate a force. The original report done by another company had made a bunch of assumptions and (in my opinion) oversimplified the problem. My own calculations were more detailed and thorough. My manager didn't understand the calculations, not because he couldn't, but because he didn't want to work through the calculus. He called me over to explain my work and I walked him through it. He still didn't understand it but sent me back to my desk. He then called our boss over and in hushed tones tried to tell him that my calculations were suspect/wrong. I was fuming as I overheard their conversation (they were sitting one station away from me) but I didn't get up to defend myself. After listening to everything, our boss, who has a little more faith in me, called me over to explain again. So I did. (Honestly this was a 11th-grade calculus problem.) He took his time and gave my work his nod. As a check, he suggested we run a simplified model that would check my calculus. It worked, I was right.

Man, I wanted to let out a huge whoop of success at that moment and scream obscenities at my manager but obviously I couldn't. So, let me do it on my own blog - F*** YOU!!!!!

No comments: