Friday, February 26, 2010

The last day at work

Boy, I'll be glad if I can just hold it together for a few more hours. It's been hard enough already, the packing, the planning has been overwhelming. But my team is determined to make it hard to leave. They got me bouquet of flowers. They called for a quick meeting and sat me down to share my thoughts. A little awkward to share my thoughts on demand, but I think I did a decent job. We got a group pic taken as well. My close chums in the team had bought me a jacket earlier which they got me to pick in advance.

Then all the senior staff in the office, and my team mates came out to a farewell lunch. 16 of them! I was really touched. Of course, there were awkward moments when they got me to speak about everyone and the good times in the office and so on. I'm not a big fan of these group emotional scenes so I was squirming in my seat. Particularly because there were a few there who were new to the office and a few I wasn't quite close with. But still, I appreciated them showing up. Later tonight we're going out for drinks even though I protested against it, and I'm told I'll be getting a gift there as well!

Overall it has been a sharp contrast to my last day in Pune. There I had to leave in a hurry, didn't have time to say my proper goodbyes. The journey from the office then was awkward as well involving two suitcases packed in a hurry, stuffed on a borrowed scooter, a tearful colleague and a smoke-filled bus. Today I got a royal sendoff in the office car taking me all the way to my apt to let me pack in peace. And while I am still a little behind on my packing as I type this up, I take joy in knowing that it won't be as bad the Pune experience.


No comments: