Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bluetooth cruising

This has happened to me a few times in Pune and once even in Goa. I leave the bluetooth connection on my phone turned on since I connect my bluetooth headset to it as soon as I go home. But that means that sometimes when I am at a bus stop or in the market or at the beach, among large crowds, I suddenly get a request from another phone asking me to connect.

Sometimes I directly get a request to accept a file, either a picture or a file with an unknown extension. Was it a virus? During the early days I even accepted a request to send me a pic, turned out to be a random picture of a 15-year-old boy.

One theory I have is that this might be how gay men in India try to pick up other men. Or maybe it's just to prank? Or just to play around with this "cool" "new" thing called Bluetooth? I don't know. It's just very weird.

No comments: