Monday, January 19, 2009

A sort of funny, sort of sad story

There's this guy at work that I see walking around a couple of times a day. He's clearly not a technical employee because he doesn't talk to anyone. He looks and acts more like someone from the security team, but he doesn't wear a security uniform either. Thing is, he walks kinda slow, looks at everyone's computers in a fashion that can be called creepy.

Yesterday when both my cubicle neighbor and I got a little bothered by this guy's stares, we walked up to talk to a girl who's been here a little longer. I nodded my head gently toward the guy, who was in earshot of us, and asked the girl in Telugu who he was. We spoke in Telugu for a couple of minutes, with the girl telling me that he's the assistant to the property manager who just walks around because he's bored. Apparently the guy before him was much creepier and this guy's relatively cool. Suddenly realization dawns on the face of the girl and she says in a loud whisper, "Oh my God! I forgot that he knows Telugu!" and switches to Tamil for half a sentence before saying, "Oh my God! I forgot he knows Tamil too!!"

We don't know how much of the conversation the guy heard because he never looked up at us but it was definitely an awkward situation to be in. Sigh.

No comments: