Friday, January 9, 2009

Night blindness

For almost a whole week, I had a bad problem - I couldn't drive at night. Saturday night, when I went out with my friend, the headlight of my bike went out. It must have happened when I turned on my bike with the light still on. For a guy that used to insist on people turning off all lights/air-conditioning/stereo before turning on their car, that was an inexcusable mistake. Thing is, it wasn't the first time I did it, but it clearly wasn't a problem before.

I didn't even notice it for a while while I was driving. Luckily I have "parking lights" that prevented me from getting tickets but basically, if I was driving at night, on an unfamiliar road, I'd have to drive at 5 kmph to avoid falling into any potential holes on the road. So no night driving! Had to leave work early, had to avoid meeting friends at night.

On the other end, the repair shop closest to my place closes at 6pm, exactly when I leave work. So when I took my bike there at 7pm, they did everything short of laughing in my face before politely asking me leave. The next day I drove like crazy just to make it there by 6:30pm and the guys, bless them, didn't make a fuss. They just repaired it as fast as they could.

The worst part with having no lights was that I couldn't fight back against my biggest nemeses on the road - the high-beamers. Everytime I see a gratuitous high-beam headed my way, I flick my own high beam to let them know that they should dip their lights. Now I couldn't do that. After the repair, I'm back to "communicating" with the other drivers on the road.

(In case you're wondering, my success rate at getting people to dip their headlights is about 1-in-30.)

No comments: