Monday, April 27, 2009

All bachelors are less equal than others?

I've written about how hard bachelors have it in India. I thought I was done with that problem in Chandigarh/Panchkula and for the most part it's not a problem being a bachelor here. But I did have my first brush with it recently. I was trying to get internet at home and I got the contact info of a provider for AIRTEL. He met me at my office a couple of days ago and told me about the plans etc. I picked the one I wanted and he started asking me about my company. Then about my position. Then he asked me if I was married. I got pissed off at this point, "Why do you need to know that?" I asked. Turns out, AIRTEL is very reluctant to give internet connections to bachelors. They feel that that bachelors "commit fraud". "So what, married people don't commit fraud?" I asked him. No answer. So turns out the compromise is that I pay six months of advance to get the internet connection! NO WAY IN HELL! I just found another provider in Reliance and I'll post later on how reliable Reliance is.

As I was walking into my apt, an older man suddenly stopped me and asked "Where are you going to?" I told him that I was new here and gave him my apt no. I suppose it's fair, because he's just being cautious at seeing a new face. But again, would a couple get that question? Why? Because women don't steal? Geez!

No comments: