Friday, April 17, 2009

The steps

It's the weirdest thing. Almost everywhere I've been to in Panchkula, I've faced steep steps. Started with the hotel I'm in. Then our office. Then restaurants. Whether I'm climbing down into a cellar, or climbing up a higher floor, the steps are all very steep. I'm yet to see deep, short steps.

Another oddity related to a few restaurants around my hotel. Now these are basically dhabas but they're underground. They have a cashier's desk up at ground level but if you want to eat you go down into a dungeon to eat. It's odd. I imagine this is because land is hard to catch hold of in the city and if you want to expand your operations from a small dhaba into a restaurant that can seat a few more, you have to go underground. Why not build up? Again, I don't know, but my guess is that it's cheaper to dig.

And you can bet you use steep steps to get into these dungeons!

1 comment:

Kiran said...

Is this partly because basements are cooler ?