Thursday, April 23, 2009

Annoying people #2364

Add my manager to the list of people who annoy me. He's more of a team leader I suppose but he has about 10 years of experience and has the word "manager" in his title. Sadly I don't think he has that much more experience than I do, so it's hard for me to respect him and if I was a full-blown Indian I'd still be obedient, but with my background, I barely listen to him and ignore him for the most part. What do I have against him? I'm glad you asked.
 
He's got an MBA from somewhere. So he feels like he needs to use that degree to the maximum. He insists on management talk. For example, he asks for deadlines for everything. We have to do an online sexual harassment training program and since we have nothing else to do, we were going to get this done right away anyway. But he starts with, "Hey, what should I set as a deadline for this? Today? Tomorrow? Shall I say tomorrow? OK, I am going to set tomorrow as the deadline for this." Dude, we don't need to hear your inner monologue! And again, "How long do you guys need to get acquainted with the software? A week? Let's say 10 days? OK? Ten days. OK, so I'll set the deadline for this as ...." Even when we go out for lunch, he says, "OK, it's 1:30pm now, so what shall we say about coming back? 2:30pm? 2:30 pm sound good? OK, let's say we'll meet at 2:30pm."
 
This other part I don't know if it comes from him being a "teacher's pet" or just an idiot. Because we will be working with some US offices, he felt that we should actually change our working hours to suit them. He proposed that instead of our usual hours of 9am to 5:30pm, we come in to work after lunch, say at 1:30pm, and head home at 9:30pm! ARE YOU INSANE? I am not staying till 9pm in the office. If anything I would rather get in by 8am and leave by 4:30pm. The icing on the cake was when he asked the two of us (the two engineers) to buy two-wheelers in case we stay late. Yeah, and who's buying these two-wheelers for us? Your dad?
 
Lastly, he started bugging us about arriving at the office on time. You see, we're in a hotel as of now, "we" includes the boss. Further, we were assured that the company would be providing us rides to work, every day, for as long as we worked with the company. So our routine is to have breakfast with the boss and wait for the car together. The car has other duties as well, picking up people from the airports, other offices in the city etc. So it gets delayed. Sometimes as much as an hour and a half. So I don't know where he gets off complaining that we're being late. And he has the audacity to tell us that the HR is complaining about us, which I don't believe. The HR was the one who told us about the car rides, so she wouldn't suddenly change her mind about us being late.
 
But most of all, I think it's just sad that I can't get myself to respect him. I think the first superior I've had that I don't respect at all.

3 comments:

Kiran said...

Go back and watch Office Space. You will enjoy it all the more :)

You know what's worse than an annoying boss ? A colleague at a start-up who behaves like he is your boss, and tries to get one-up on your every time the CEO is within earshot distance. Those are the ones you have to be really careful with because you are just a thought away from committing murder!

srujana said...

Harsh!! I feel like beating up your boss...esp being late etc. Didn't you say he is from Houston?

Kalyan said...

Point is, this office is rather like a startup and my manager is like a colleague because he's not that much more experienced. And he does most of this "managing" in front of our boss. So yeah, if you read "Man strangles manager in Panchkula" come over to pay bail.
Sruj, the boss is from Houston, the manager's from Mumabi.