Sunday, May 17, 2009

A matter of geography (or, "Washington America lo vundi kada babu?")

Before I narrate a recent phone conversation I had, you should know some basics. I live in a city called Panchkula, which is in the state of Haryana. Panchkula and Mohali are adjacent cities to Chandigarh and this whole area with these three cities is called the "Tri-City" area. (They're not IN Chandigarh.) Chandigarh is not in any state, it's a seperate Union Territory (sort of like special territories in the US). Chandigarh is sometimes referred to as a city, which is acceptable. It's the capital of both Punjab and Haryana, but isn't in either state, because, like I just said, it's a Union Territory by itself. Just like Delhi isn't in any city but is a Union Territory.

I got a call from my internet provider wanting to check up on my status and ask if the service was good etc. After a few questions he came to the part about my address check:

"So sir, your address is Flat #300, Society no. 20, Mansa Devi Complex, Sector-5, Panchkula, Chandigarh, Punjab, PIN code ... "
"Wait, Panchkula isn't in Chandigarh, it's in Haryana."
"Ok sir, so blah blah blah, Sector-5, Panchkula, Haryana, Punjab, PIN code ..."
(At this point I was laughing so hard I could barely speak)
"No, Haryana is a different state, it's not in Punjab, which is another state entirely."
"Ok sir, so are you in Chandigarh?"
"No, I'm in Panchkula, which is in Haryana."
"Ok sir, so what do you want me to remove from this address?"
"Just replace Chandigarh, Punjab with Haryana."

I get it that not a lot of people are familiar with a small town like Panchkula but come on, you gotta know that Haryana and Punjab are different states, right?

No comments: