Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rain, rain, don't go away.

The monsoon is here 10 days early, which means the rains have started!
That's wonderful news. It rained big about 10 days ago and cooled
everything down but I think it was a local thunderstorm. It got hot
again and last Sunday was the presumably the first big rain of the
monsoons. It was a massive downpour, accompanied by hail. The
temperatures dropped by about 10 C (20 F). It got so cold that the
next morning I hesitated to shower in the cold tap water. (Note to my
real estate agent who looked at me like I was an idiot for buying a
water heater in the summer - Who's the idiot now?)

The smell of Indian soil when it rains is the best in the world. I'd
give up TV for a week just for one whiff of that smell. Heck, I'd give
up one or upto two meals for that smell. It's terrific. I'm still
waiting for that dull rain, where it slides in slowly, starts, hits a
peak, and just plateau's out at decent pace and stays that way for a
couple of hours, stopping rarely. Now that's some good rain.

No comments: