Friday, May 8, 2009

My doctor says and my garage mechanic agrees ...

There's a Simpsons episode where Homer, Bart and Lisa go grocery shopping. Bart and Lisa keep bringing junk food to add to the cart with increasingly ridiculous excuses. Homer, instead of opposing these purchases, joins them. So when Bart says, "I need this candy for school. Candy class.", Homer replies with, "Well, OK, but get five bags in case we eat four on the way home." Eventually Bart and Lisa just stop giving excuses and just keep adding junk food to the cart. At this point Homer picks up a six-pack of beer and starts creating his own excuse, "My doctor says and my garage mechanic agrees ..." when Bart just waves the six-pack through.

My situation at work is a lot similar. It's one thing when I want to leave early or come late to work and I have to explain this to my manager with some flimsy excuse. But my manager himself never shows up on time, takes plenty of days off and tries to justify to us why he's being tardy and lazy. And I have to say, "Yeah, it's OK, you can take time off." Amazing. Reminds me of George Costanza and Kruger at Kruger Industrial smoothing "(We don't care and it shows"), where George ends up being the more responsible one! Geez!

No comments: