Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Too hot to function

It was going to be hot here. That much I knew. But I wasn't prepared for the intensity. I've never been exposed to consecutive days of temperatures above 100F. Days get that hot in the US, in the Austin/Houston areas but we always have the luxury of air conditioning. None of that for me here. Just my trusty air-cooler (swamp cooler), which does a decent job upto 100F, but beyond that it is basically helpless.

I am running into odd problems with this heat. Almost all the appliances in the apt heat up. One in particular is the voltage converter for my wireless router, and the router itself. So my internet will stop working suddenly. The laptop itself heats up if I put it on the bed so I have to balance the laptop at the end of the bed (or table) so the processor can "breathe".

For cooling water, I use an earthen pot. It's fantastic. It doesn't give ice cold water but it's cool enough to drink when I return home.

I would complain more but it rained yesterday - a thunderstorm with hail that went on for a couple of hours - and I am now very placated. It's cool.

No comments: