Saturday, May 16, 2009

South Indian food and books!

Two things I was sorely missing. When I woke up I wasn't sure I'd have the energy to travel to Chandigarh, due to my upset stomach which had been rejecting everything I had been putting into it for almost a whole week. By noon I decided that I would go find a S. Indian restaurant even if it killed me. (And it nearly did.) Upon advice from my flatmates I picked the closest restaurant, called Sundarams. To be fair, it was an fullblown S. Indian restaurant. I was so weak, tired and hungry by the time I sat down that I didn't even really study the menu, I just ordered a Thali. The food was good, everything rated as "sufficiently S. Indian" but falled short of "really authentic". They had really small glasses and in my dehydrated state I kept emptying the glasses regularly but the waiter didn't refill them as often as I'd like. Normally this is a serious offense with me, but being as this is the only S. Indian restaurant I've seen so far, I didn't want to pick a fight with anyone there in case I had to eat there again.

I took an rickshaw to the bank to withdraw some money. The driver regaled me with tales of the elections, whose results were coming in just then. Apparently there were going to be celebrations in the city that evening, which I'd have loved to attend if I was feeling better. His Hindi sounded much better than the Hindi I was used to hearing in Chandigarh, and he told me that he was UP, from the very same city that the waitress' son is contesting now - Amethi. We talked about who was winning and who lost their seats etc.

After the bank I got details about a few bookstores from the British Library over there. Browsers is a library/bookstore. They sell used books, but only at a 25% discount (I miss Half-price books). It was here, while was browsing through the store, that I realized how weak I felt. I was sitting in a chair and actually considered just falling down and subsequently be carried to a hospital for an IV drip. It didn't seem very cool to do that so I took a nap instead. That brought back some energy and I purchased a couple of books before walking out. I wanted to check out the other stores in that area but I thought it would be better if I took some rest at home. After all, I do need to save some for the next visit to the city. Next trip - more book stores and a restaurant called "Barbeque nation" which seems like a grilled version of "Melting Pot". All I need now is a date :)

No comments: