Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cricket with the colleagues

In two weeks our office is playing a cricket match with the Mumbai Offshore office. So this weekend we decided to see if any of us still remembered how to play. The plan was to meet up at the office building at 7:30am and then travel to the grounds from there.

Now keep in mind that I love my weekend sleep-ins and that we're smack in the middle of winter, when I tell you that I hated waking up on Saturday morning. And then you add my preference for punctuality to the fact that I didn't see another colleague till 8am and you can imagine how pissed off I was. Turns out, it's assumed that no one will show up at 7:30am, and people started waking up at their leisure. And I had to end up driving from one point to another before I finally saw some people. The first ground we tried was occupied, so we bounced to another ground and we finally started playing at 9am.

Other than one player, no one had really played in a long time. So we all had trouble doing basic things like throwing and catching! We ended up playing two games and the second was much better. The ground was next to a slum. Some of the fielders were refusing to field in a certain part of the ground and when I asked why, their response was simply, "Landmines". And when i saw what they were referring to, I was disgusted. When I was sent to field in that area, I had to be very careful where I stepped, and soon I told them I wasn't going to go there anymore :)

Of course now I'm sore as hell with a sprained ankle but it feels good.

No comments: