Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This is why I stay away from people with my name

I've always had a policy that people shouldn't be friends with, or go anywhere near, people who share the same name as them. I met a few "Kalyan"s in my life but I've always drifted away from them. Now there is a SriKalyan at work. You'd think that's enough of a difference, but turns out people call him Kalyan as well. And I love the guy. The first week I was here, he took me around showing me apartments etc, very sweet of him. So I have no beef with him (For that matter I didn't have a problem with the other "Kalyan"s either.)

Right after my first week at work, he went on a long trip abroad and I thought we wouldn't have a problem about our names clashing. But DB, our common friend at work, has confused me with him on the office chat sometimes and it's annoying. And now the guy in charge of keeping people's emergency contact information up to date came to my desk asking me to give my information, but pointing to SriKalyan's name on the sheet. Aaarg. It has begun.

And now SriKalyan's coming back to work soon. And I anticipate plenty more confusion.

(I've noticed God has a weird sense of humour in that that he tries to put me in situations that I hate, so I have to get over them. "Hate Pakistanis? Well, you'll have a Pakistani colleague in Houston. Hate the Bollywood culture? Well, I'll put you in a non-South Indian city so you'll be forced to listen to Hindi songs on the FM radio everyday." And now, it's people with my name!)

No comments: