Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A knock on my door in the night

Last night as I was talking to my dad on the phone, I heard a knock on my door. I asked dad to hang on and opened the door. There was a guy there pointing at the door of my flat across from mine and asking me if I knew if they were away. (That's always a weird thing that happens in India - people look at a locked door and ask if the residents are home. Who do they think lives in these houses, Houdini?)

So I told the guy I had no idea. He then started asking me if the people who used to live in my flat moved away. (Another ambiguous phrasing of a question!) I told him they had. At that point he started getting personal - how long have I lived here, how much rent do I pay, how many live in the flat and how much deposit I paid. Somewhere in there I got suspicious and asked him who he was. Instead of responding, he asked me his question again. At this point I told him he needs to ask my house owner all these questions and closed my door.

Today morning I thought I'd warn my neighbours of this guy who claimed to know them. When I finished telling them what happened, my neighbour tells me, "Yeah, that's our house owner". I was stunned! What the hell, why wouldn't he just say that when I asked him who he was instead of being super creepy and asking all sorts of details. What a weird guy!

No comments: