Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lola TV

Channel V has a program called Lola TV. Lola Kutty this
stereotypically Malayali-looking girl who interviews celebrities. At
first I thought it was Shenaz Treasurywala under that make up and was
quite impressed that she mastered the nuances of the Malayali accent
and small expressions. But turns out that it is a new face (to me)
called Anuradha Menon. Anuradha apparently is from Kerala but settled
in Chennai.

At first, when I thought it was Shehnaz, I thought it was quite a
"racist" portrayal but I was won over by the genuineness of the
portrayal. She wasn't mocking Malayalis as much as she was pretending
to be one of them - unlike the mehmood portrayals from the 80's where
every Tamilian was supposed to go - "Ayyo kyaa jeeee?" Of course,
knowing that it's a Malayali girl made even that black mark disappear.

It's a fun program, although, even I find it hard to understand her
accent sometimes. And I wonder how the Bollywood celebrities manage to
keep up with her!

No comments: