Monday, December 15, 2008

Spectacles, .............., wallet and watch: Wait, where's my wallet?

I lost my wallet last weekend. It was my mistake. I went out to eat breakfast in my pajamas and since my pockets couldn't hold my wallet, I put it in the pocket of the scooter when I was driving home. I forgot to take it out when I went to my room, and since I was quite sick, I didn't even notice it. I didn't even have lunch, I just went to bed and woke up around 4pm. After freshening up I got dressed to go for a walk when during my "getting ready ritual" of checking my pockets, I realized I didn't have my wallet. (My version of the checking mnemonic is "Keys, Cash, Kerchief and Chronometer")  I ran down to check the scooter but it wasn't there.

This is a big problem because it had all my cash, and quite a few of my US credit cards. First thing I did was to look up the phone numbers of the credit card companies and start calling them to cancel the cards. Whoever took my cards, including my Indian debit card, didn't even try to use them, there were no charges reported on them. I was running out of money on my SIM card, so I called my brother to help me out with the cancellations. Soon that was done. Now it was around 6pm and I started worrying about dinner. Again, "luckily" since I was sick, I wasn't very hungry.

The next morning I went to the bank and asked how I could withdraw cash. The process was as simple as writing a check to myself and that solved the cash problem. That evening I purchased a "Versace" wallet (fake!) and started the healing process. The replacement for my Indian debit card arrived in the mail a few days later and soon things were down to "normal".

The big saving factors that day was the fact that I had enough petrol in my scooter and enough money on my SIM card to make phone calls. I was told to always leave some cash behind, in the apt and I have to start doing that too.

This was the first time I felt let down by the city of Pune. Yes it could happen anywhere, but for some reason I assumed that whoever took the wallet from my scooter would give it to the building manager or something. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Nay said...

big big hug! my purse was stolen in my 2nd week in brussels and i know the feeling. so big hugs!