Monday, December 8, 2008

It takes a very secure man

Last week I went shopping to buy a chudidaar for Preethi. I asked my colleague DB to help me with the selection and also because she would know a few good stores to shop at. The whole process was very quick, I made my selection after just one store. At this store, a young boy of about 14 or 15 was showing us the dresses. He was very eager to make the sale. For example, after realizing that the chudidaar wasn't for DB, he tried to get her to buy one for herself as well.
Anyway, midway through the selection process I was trying decide about one of the dresses and I asked the boy to hold it up so I could see it better. Instead of just holding it away from himself like any normal homophobic person (like me) would, he held it up against his own torso to model it! This was either a strong display by the guy of his security in his sexuality, or maybe give his young age, the absence of it. Either way, I was taken aback by that gesture and could barely look at the dress. But I couldn't stop smiling about that all evening long.

3 comments:

Kiran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiran said...

Oh come on! Are you telling me you never saw a grown man drape a saree around himself to give a demo ? I have seen it many times at Bommana Bros/Chandana Sis type stores.

Kalyan said...

Well they drape it on their arm, and even that is just because they don't have space to spread it otherwise. They don't demonstrate the functioning of the sari by putting one end over their shoulders.