Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's picture time again.

In case you didn't know, you can click on the image to see a bigger version. For some of these pictures, they won't make sense till you see the larger version.



It always amuses me how indifferent Indians are toward Hitler. He's not a scary or a hated figure here. The consensus opinion (including educated folk and commoners) is that he was a very strict figure and fought a war. If anything Hitler brings up Chaplin's portrayal of Hitler to mind and that just becomes a joke. So with that in mind, I didn't quite know what to make of these!

And in case it wasn't clear who you were looking at, on the flip side we have the name.

When I saw this, I was driving my scooter, and I was so startled that I almost hit someone in my hurry to come back and look at it again. This is people standing in a line to get into a bus!!! This is right out of Shankar's vision of the future under Arjun's leadership.

Of course, the tricky part was taking this picture without looking like a jackass. So I pretended to be talking on my phone through an earpiece while taking these pictures.

This is the sign on a medical store that apparently won't sell medicines to Elton John or Ellen Degeneres.

This is from the handicrafts village. This diorama represents a bunch of tribals making statues. Notice the person at the right edge of the frame, that's not a real person!

These were actors from the "street theater" that were walking around and doing small scenes. All the actors are male, and it's weird how the scenes they were enacting resembled nothing I'd ever read about in any of the mythologies! See how many "gods" and mythological figures you can spot.



Two videos to end.

A drum dance.

A clip of the street theatre

No comments: