Monday, October 6, 2008

Deus ex Mahesh Babu

I took my parents out to watch a movie. It was their first movie in a theatre since Yamadonga, so more than an year ago. We went to watch "Ashta Chemma" (name of a Ludo-like game native to Andhra Pradesh). It was a safe bet to be family-safe, so no awkward moments as I watch it with my family. The movie is about a girl who is obsessed with Mahesh Babu (the actor) and when he gets married, decides to settle for any cute boy as long as his name is Mahesh. It's supposed to be based on "The Importance of Being Earnest". The movie had a very weak script and relied largely on the acting talents of the actors to carry the plot. Honestly I think the director just walked into the producer's office and said, "In this movie, Swati will pout and look cute." "OK, make the movie". The ending was astonishingly contrived (for a movie that seemed to be doing well till then). Let's just say Deus ex Mahesh Babu.

What I found interesting was the movie theatre. The best seats in the place cost us only Rs. 35. So for the three of us to watch the movie, and for me to get my cold drink (Thums Up) and the parking charge for the car cost us less than it cost me the previous weekend to watch a Telugu movie in a multiplex in Pune. I asked my dad why there was so much discrepancy and how the smaller theatre managed to make any profit while selling tickets for a fraction of the price the multiplexes were charting. Apparently it's to do with the overhead costs for the multiplex that the smaller theatres don't have. And the fact that they make up in volume what they don't make up in price. The theatre of course came with its own flavor - the smell of urine, sweat and sticky floors - that was missing from the multiplex.

No comments: