Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Subway in India: Main sauce

The original plan was to eat with my dad at Subway. Except, the last two times I was in Hyderabad, something or the other kept coming up and I kept missing it. So it was going to do this in Pune.

I had to pay Rs. 10 to park my scooter in the first place to get into this place! What struck me as I looked at the menu was the all the sandwiches were 6" ones. They do have footlongs but they're hidden somewhere in the menu, I had to search for them.

I ordered a Panner Tikka sandwich. It's made similar to the chicken sandwich, where they have seasoned pieces of Panner in small cups and they microwave them and put them in the sandwich. Another thing I learned is that most people just add all the fixins on their sandwiches. Makes sense, Indian being cheap would ask, "What can I get for no extra charge?" and go ahead and add everything they can.

After added the veggies, the guy asked me, "What sauce sir?" So I asked him if he had any Chipotle sauce. He said he didn't. So I was looking at the sauces and he says, "Would you like to have some main sauce sir?" I looked at him, "Main sauce, what's in the main sauce?"
"It's main sauce sir. It comes with the sandwich."
"Yeah I know, but what's in the main sauce."
Now it was his turn to stare at me.
"Sir, with the Paneer sandwich the regular sauce is the main sauce."

This was rapidly turning into an Abbot and Costello routine. Finally I looked at the sauce and it was green in color. "Do you mean MINT sauce?" I asked him.
"Yes sir."
"OK! I'll have some of that."

"OK sir, any more sauces?"
"What do you have?"
"We have Southwest sauce."
"What?? I just asked you if you had Chipotle sauce."
"Yes sir, this is like Chipotle sauce."
I didn't want to argue anymore about how the name of the sauce is "Southwest Chipotle". So I just asked him to pack it up. Interestingly he packed the two halves of the footlong in seperate packages. Like it was inconceivable to him that any one person would eat the whole footlong.

Hmm, maybe that's a sign.

4 comments:

Kiran said...

Was there anyone who ordered the non-Indianized sandwich ? How did the Panneer Tikka Sub taste ? Send me a photo of the menu when you get a chance :)

Kalyan said...

Hmm, I didn't quite see that. There weren't that many Indian options in the first place. Also I would imagine the type of people who come to these places would try to order the American versions. (Pseud!!!)
The Panner Tikka was nice. Like I probably mentioned, other than a little suspicious (like spoiled) taste, it was a nice combination over all.
It costs Rs. 10 in parking just to go to that Subway, so you'll have to wait till I actually want to go there again :)

Kiran said...

Oh, and how much did it cost ? 5$ footlong ??

Kalyan said...

Oh hardly $5. Their default menu is for 6" and that's Rs. 80. Footlong is another Rs. 60. So basically Rs. 140, or about $3.5.