Saturday, October 11, 2008

God! That felt good!

Chandu, you were right. I should gone for the full treatment at the barbershop ages ago! 

I finally managed to clean up my apt. I also found a reclining chair for my apt that I'm really excited about. I'm getting pretty close to the dream configuration of my apt. Anyway, after setting up everything, I went to the closest barbershop to my apt. I've never really asked for any extras with my haircut. Even now I didn't. In the middle of  the haircut, the guy did a dusting motion through my hair. I thought that was a nice touch. And then he went to town on my hair and scalp!! He did a rapid scratching type motion with the balls of his fingers through my scalp. And then he started massaging my scalp. He was so rough I was worried I'd lose all my hair, but it felt so good I didn't care. I didn't quite get why he did it. Perhaps it's part of the standard package over there. Or maybe most of it was to just dust the clipped hair from my head. Whatever the reason, I just didn't want him to stop as I felt all the stress of the day melt away. I'm really jealous of the Indians who get to enjoy this service gratis, or atleast for really cheap. 

I'm going back for more. The next time I'll be getting a "tel malish" - an oil (scalp) massage. Now if I can add a TV playing the game and some scintillating conversation, I'll be in heaven. 

3 comments:

Kiran said...

Are you really allowing *another* *man* to touch the back of your head and (gasp!) *neck* ??? My my! What is the world coming to ? The next thing I know, you will be telling the maalish guy how much you enjoyed the latest Emran Hashmi movie :)

On a side note, I like your enthusiasm in updating the blog. I have been visiting almost every day and have rarely been disappointed!

Kiran said...

I made it a point to visit this post in light of another inconvenience I found in the US. I was trying to find a barber who would shave (and not trim) a beard, for my father-in-law. A lot of them refused (in fact all but 2 among the 20-odd barbers in Columbus refused) stating reasons ranging from lack of licenses to State law reqts. Eventually the guy who agreed to do it did a complicated procedure (2 round of trimming followed by an actual shave) and told me that there is no state law against it. Its just that most people are scared of using a razor and are also plain lazy. The punchline is that it costs 10$ (without tips) to do this and they wont accept a card! Long live the barbers in India!

Kalyan said...

Funnily enough I was going to get a shave a barbershop here too. I was staying with my friend and for some reason he didn't offer me a shaving blade. And I was very reluctant to let the barber shave me because I am so used to my triple-blade system. Not to mention the risks of a cheap barber reusing a blade. Luckily I called off the plan to go out and didn't need the shave.