Thursday, October 23, 2008

Domino dancing

Had lunch at Domino's Pizza today. For some reason I'd been really craving Subway's today (for that matter I'd been craving eating all American food) but the closest Subway to my office was still quite far away. So I settled for Domino's which was within walking distance.

I'd been expecting to pay a ton based on my first lunch in Pune. But the prices were reasonable. I got myself a "one person veggie combo" - a two-topping personal pizza with a Coke (my first Coke since I got to India I think). The toppings were seasoned panneer and onions. I thought it would be too little but it was filling enough. A little too hot for my liking but not too bad.

The best part of the whole experience was when the lady behind the counter asked me for my name. I was thrilled beyond words could describe when I could just say my real name instead of one of the many Americanized names I used to use in the US. Of course, the correct spelling of my name on my bill and the correct pronunciation with which my name was announced when my order was ready were just icing on the cake.

What was kinda unsettling to see was a box which said, "Drop your unused flakes here", referring to the pepper flakes they provide in small packets. I examined the box and either the waiters or the other customers had dropped off unopened packets of pepper flakes in there. What exactly were they doing with these? Reusing them?? I know it's unopened, but it's still gross to think that these unopened packets were in someone else's plate.

Another thing that bugged me was when after I placed my order and gave the person behind the counter a Rs. 100 note (my bill was Rs. 85) she asked me for Rs. 5 in change. And then said, "I don't have a Rs. 20 to give you back. I'll get it for you later." That pissed me off. It's one to expect that in a local restaurant. This is supposed to be a big chain and if they can't keep a good amount of change with them, that is annoying. What was worse was that after my meal I had to go to the counter myself to ask for my change and she still didn't have it! I had half a mind to yell at her.

Domino's pizza, if you're reading this, you gotta shape up.

No comments: