Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My "Seven Words You Can't Say on TV" bit was entirely different from your "Seven Words You Can't Say on TV" bit.

It's amazing watching English (Hollywood) movies on TV here. For one there's more cussing. I know what you're thinking, how is there more cussing on an Indian channel than there would be if the movie were shown on TV in the US (where presumably everyone is morally corrupt). I guess culturally certain words have different levels of offensiveness.

For example I keep hearing the word "bullsh**" and for that matter "sh**" on TV here. And then they bleep out "a**" and "bit**". (I'm bleeping them all out to avoid any controversy.) I stared at the TV the first few times I heard it and now I'm just used to it.

Almost all English movies get automatic subtitles here. It's like they figured the average Indian can't understand the dialogue which is spoken in these movies. That's fine, because it's mostly true. But yeah, what confuses me is when I'm watching the movie and hear a certain word by see a less offensive version of the word on screen. "Less offensive" is relative of course because it depends on what is considered offensive in India. Hilarious.

Last night as I was watching "The Mummy", I noticed the runtime was much shorter than I expected. As the movie was playing I started noticing that they cut out a bunch of scenes. Now you're probably thinking "There's nothing offensive in The Mummy." Well they took out almost all the scenes with the Mummy. The regeneration as Evelyn reads the words from the Book of the Dead. The absorbing of the organs from the grave robbers. Even the scene where his jaw opens really wide to swallow up Conners' plane. It's almost like the Indian airing of the movie didn't get the rights to the CGI scenes in the movie and so they just showed the scenes with real actors in them.

No comments: