Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Smoking Ban

Hurray! The hardcore libertarians can complain all they want but I favor smoking bans.

Starting Oct 2nd this year, there would be no more public smoking in India. There a lot of details about how and when you can smoke, particularly in restaurants but bottom line is that I don't need to be sitting in a coffee shop worried if there's a going to be a fag next to me. A cigarette that is.

Apparently there are 120 million smokers in India. That seems like a very large number. And I thought maybe there were a lot of smokers in the villages but the problem is actually more in my neck of the woods. Turns out the percentages for smokers in the upper class and upper middle class stand around 40. Again, seems very large, but what do I know.

I just have clean air to breathe and that's all I care about. The next step is to just destroy all the autos that pollute excessively. If we catch a few auto drivers (Chennai auto drivers in particular) sitting in those autos ... well, a man can dream.

No comments: