Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fight! Fight! Fight!

There's no faster way to get a big group of people to gather around than to have two people fight in public.

As I was walking home after dinner, I saw a small crowd standing in the distance. But unlike usual crowds, this crowd wasn't gathered around a central point. Instead they all were watching something going on in an alley. That was where the big crowd was. Apparently there was some sort of collision between a pedestrian and someone on a two-wheeler. And as they were "resolving" the issue, a big crowd had gathered around them and a smaller crowd had gathered to watch the big crowd. I would have stayed and asked what the matter was and get more details, except I didn't speak the language.

As I was walking by that area, a motorcycle ran into another one that had slowed down due to the overall rubbernecking going on in that area. (No one was hurt since everyone was driving at really small speeds anyway.) A small part of the smaller crowd turned their heads toward this new collision anticipating another juicy fight. But in a superb display of irony the guy on the second motorcycle smiled at the one that ran into him acknowledging that it was a minor issue. The guy smiled back and they just drove on. The whole thing was something right out of a Saki story.

At one point during my stay in India I want to stage a fight with a friend and use a stopwatch to see how fast I can have 100 people gather.

No comments: