Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The collection agents and more muslim might

I had dinner at Sagar a "pure veg" restaurant. It was ok. The guy runs a monthly program where I can have 30 meals for Rs. 750. A pretty good deal. I am just waiting to explore the neighborhood for other such deals so I can figure out who is running the best operation.

As I was having my food, I noticed that a big crowd (about 20) had gathered around the cashier's desk and were making a commotion. Phrases like "100" "Thousand", "Chanda" were heard and I figured they were collecting funds for some religious ceremony. Basically when people in a community perform some religious function - like a Ganesh puja or a Diwali celebration or Holi - they go about collecting funds from the neighborhood, both residents and businessmen (if you thought I was going to say businesspeople for political corrrectness you are clearly in the wrong place). Thing is, these donations are theoretically voluntary, but apparently rarely are. In one of my favorite movies - Siva - there is a great scene where these thugs show up with a can and DEMAND Rs. 100 for a ganesh puja. Apparently this practice is alive and well here. Amazing! The restaurant owner was complaining later about how there are many such groups who keep pestering the businesses for money and they don't complain because they just want to do their business.

Oh and another addition to the "muslim might" concept where I wrote about how businesses are catering to muslims explicitly. I turned on dear old Sun Music channel while I was staying with my friend this weekend. There were 8 ads in one commercial break and 4 of them were ads catering to muslims - featuring muslims, asking them to buy saris for Ramzan. The money never lies. It doesn't matter if your store is called Sri Devi Silks, you can't afford to ignore the Indian muslims anymore.

Personally I think it's great that muslims are doing well enough to influence business. I'd rather have them rich and spending than poor and frustrated and listening to the Osama Bin Ladens of this world.

2 comments:

srujana said...

Some facts you should just not say it out loud. I hope you'll make a good muslim friend who becomes your best friend for life while you are there:)

Kalyan said...

What? I didn't say anything offensive. Good to see you're reading the blog too.