Sunday, September 14, 2008

Eat at the Hotel

(A quick update)
I'm at work in Pune, arrived 15 mins ago and waiting in a meeting room to be assigned a seat and meet the others. The guesthouse I've been put up at is very sweet and the area is very quiet. I met cousin who lives here and he's been a great help.

Right now the biggest thing on my agenda (other than work) is getting an apartment. As soon as that's done, I'll be comfortably set up.

I've been asked to give a "treat" for my birthday at a nice "Hotel". I've been told by a friend who was born in Pune that the locals can "smell my NRI a** from a mile away". So I need to adapt my vocabulary, clothing and general mannerisms if I'm to fit it. One such adaptation is realizing that the word "Hotel" in India is used interchangeably for "restaurant". Oh, and the place I work is right next to the "Le Meridian" Hotel. It's pronounced "Lee Meridian".

2 comments:

.C said...

Oops, blame my laziness to have missed meeting you at Hyderabad because I had been postponing a visit to your blog until today... just a day after you left Hyderabad! :-( Did you get my e-mail where I sent my number and that I am held up here due to visa issues?

Kalyan said...

Hey, yes, I did get your email but it would have been pointless anyway. I didn't home at all all week. Since I was leaving for Pune in a week, I decided to spend time at home. I'll ping you soon.