Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Interfering with the market.

Before leaving Hyderabad, I took my parents out for lunch. We went to a nice Indian restaurant called Chutney's that they like a lot (I like it a lot too). The bill came out to be about Rs. 330 and after paying the bill, I left a respectable 10% tip of Rs. 30. Mom was aghast, "Rs. 30 tip???" "Ok, Mom, how much do you want me to tip?" She indicated with her fingers - Rs. 5. I compromised and settled for Rs. 20.

At a couple of restaurants now in Pune, impulsively I try to tip the (American) customary 15% before pulling back and tipping closer to 5%. I feel guilty about it since, what the hell, I'm tipping "fat Americans" 15% and (relatively more) needy Indians 5%. Similar thing about beggars. After I began working, I started handing out dollar bills at intersections when asked. At intersections here, I tried to give Rs. 5 coins to kids who came knocking on the car windows. But once again, mom furrowed her brows.

Now before someone accuses my dear mom of being evil, it's a common sentiments among many people I hang out with in India - you're tipping too much/giving too much in charity. And normally I'd stick to my principles but in this case I just don't want to create problems for others :) I'd hate if I started tipping 10% in restaurants and soon the waiters start demanding that from the others. Or give the impression to the beggars that it's ok to expect charity because some crazy NRI is going to be throwing out big bucks like it's nobody's business.

Apartment hunting in Pune is hijacked by the agents. Agents are bastards who are put on this earth to get between a person and a product. They charge a brokerage of 1.5 to 2 times a month's rent. So obviously not only do they have no incentive to show you places with low rents, they keep ratcheting up the rents of places. So when I've called them saying I want a flat that costs 8,000, they show me places that cost 12,000. The only way I know to deal with this nonsense is to get out of the system rather than encourage it. I'm probably going to get an independent house through a friend. Screw you agents and your mind games.

No comments: