Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I am definitely a part of the disease now

I got my two wheeler and am really excited about it!!

 It's a dull blue Bajaj Kristal. The other colors were Red (too generic) and Black (even more generic). Basically I wanted a color that stood out not just on the road (Look at me!!) but also so I could easily spot it in a parking lot. It's gearless, so all I need to focus on is the accelerator/brake and not getting killed by an overeager bus driver.

I still need to get it registered but that can wait a couple of days. For now I've been asked to stay away from the sight of cops, not because I am doing anything illegal, but just because some cops, like uncivilized creatures of any species, don't like excessive eye contact.

As I mentioned earlier, I did take it out for a test drive the day before. So this time I was confident enough to drive it home. I gradually kept pushing my top speed to 30 kmph. I got home, took a shower and was ready to explore the neighborhood! So drove on the streets. I still don't dare turn my head while driving so I don't know most of the stores, but my peripheral vision gives me enough of an idea of the streets and landmarks. Ate dinner at an Indian Restaurant (ha! ha!). There was a camel that was being led by someone on my street and no one gave it a second look. I hate to mention that because I don't want some ignorant Chinese guy (I'm looking at you, my ex-labmate at UT, you idea thief, you!) asking me if we ride camels to work in India.

I definitely considered coming to work by bus today, and trying the bike journey for later, but I am just eager to accelerate my learning process. Decked out in nice clothes (which I'd been avoiding because of the sweating due to walking) and a better pair of shades, I took off for work. The shades were a great idea since they protected my eyes not just from the dust but also the smoke. I should have gotten somethign for my mouth as well since by the time I reached work, I could taste all of Nagar road.

And yes, I broke quite a few laws in this process. I drove a little on the wrong side, I turned without signalling, I cut a couple of red lights and passed from the wrong side. (Jim Carrey from Liar! Liar! anyone?) I'm the guy that people complain about now. However try as I can, I can never drive as bad as some of the people there. I hope to keep it that way. Oh and I have to get a helmet as soon as possible.

1 comment:

srujana said...

sorry I'm reading your posts in Chronological order and just now realized you are going to get a helmet. Good job! I so so so want to come to India (well...for vacation). I'm so jealous:)