Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's a secular country alright!

Being as it is Vinayaka Chavithi, as soon as I entered the city, I expected to be greeted by the usual elaborate setups that are rigged up this time of the year. What I wasn't quite prepared for were the signs that said "Happy Ganesh Chathurthi and Ramzan wishes", with tons of photos of the local politicians. It's like people suddenly woke up to the power of the Muslims living in the city and realized they can't be ignored. (I must say, most of the signs are by the aspiring members of the newly formed Praja Rajyam party.)

Another set of signs that I saw for the first time was "Haleem available here". Haleem apparently is a high calorie stew that Muslims consume while breaking their daily fast. I'm sure it's been around the city for ages, but it's only now that I'm noticing the signs advertising the availability. Again, the large consuming power of the Muslims. Flexing of their economic muscle.

There was an interesting program on TV as I was getting my haircut. About this dargah which gets a lot of Hindu visitors as well. It's fascinating to watch the co-existence of religions in the city. 

No comments: