Thursday, September 25, 2008

Debugging life

Life sucks.

I'm miserable. Atleast, I was last night.

The early days of taking a vehicle to work were kinda exciting. I got covered up from head to toe to protect myself from the dust and smoke and managed to drive well. I had two goals for yesterday - find a helmet and find an internet service provider. Last night, it got kinda dark as I was leaving work and I couldn't use my shades or else I'd be blind. So I took them off. And as I was looking for a helmet, bam! A bug got into my eye. It was horrible. I was half-blind, driving on a big road in the middle of traffic and had to carefully get out to the edge before I could stop. I got most of the bug out of my eye but not before it bit me. Now I had an eye that was blinded and another that was watering profusely in sympathy. What bothered me the most was that if I'd left work 30 mins earlier, I'd have been using my glasses. And another 10 minutes and I'd have found a helmet store and I'd have been safe. It was in that narrow margin when I was most exposed that I got hit. It was one of the most frustrating moments since I came to Pune. I know it won't be the last of frustrating moments, but it was hard to justify existance on a while for a brief period there. Existance in Pune atleast.

But yeah, I eventually did get the helmet last night. I asked around and had to drive a few kilometers on the highway (with my swollen eye) and found a dealer. I asked him to show me a few models and I picked the one that fit me the best. He asked what motorbike I came there on - perhaps to match the helmet etc. I showed him my tiny two wheeler. "That?" he asked, "You want a helmet for that thing?" I grinned, "Yeah." "When you asked for a helmet I thought you wanted it for a big motorcycle." After he finished mocking me I explained that I actually didn't know how to drive a geared motorbike and I was frankly scared of doing that. He shook his head and I had his sympathy after that. Nevertheless, I now have a helmet and it's wonderful because it does the a great job of protecting my hair (from dust), my eyes (from dust/bugs), my nose/mouth (from dust/smoke) and I guess my skull (from getting crushed).

And today morning I had no water in the house but it came on a few minutes later.

"Bhagwan ke ghar mein der hai, andher nahi."  (There maybe be delays when you pray to God, but not permanent darkness).

2 comments:

Kiran said...

The helmet will protect your skull. Remember the ad with the coconuts ??

srujana said...

I'm glad you still got the helmet. Even if you look funny and others laugh at you while driving w/ that helmet on, please have it on:) It'll protect your skull and all.