Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The kindness of friends

Sure, strangers are SUPPOSED to help you (unless pithy expressions are wrong!) But it's my friends that came through guns blazing this weekend.

It was a spectacular weekend from start to finish. Started with a shindig in my apt in Houston. My Houston boys showed up and so did Srujana from Austin. Did nothing but talk, but it was as memorable a night as ever. Vikrant and I topped it off with a couple of stogies while the bored prisoners of our conversation (where by the way, I totally schooled Vikrant!) busted out the Wii.

Then it was off to Austin where I managed to meet almost everyone I wanted to see with the exception of Raja who wasn't in town. Trudy's and Hula Hut. Campus. A ring. Comic stores. A starlit night on a wooden deck. Car sale. Thoughtful but more importantly small gifts. A photo viewer and a gift card. Animal Farm. And then the big gifts.

Madhavi offering me the use of her FedEx account number to ship stuff at a huge discount.
Vikrant driving me from downtown to my apt and then to the rental place to get my car.
But the biggest of all, Srujana, after helping me with my boxes in Houston, driving me all over Austin after the sale of my car and getting me some tasty papaya bubble tea before dropping me off at the bus stop.

Of course, it was only fitting that the guys and I ended the weekend by busting each other and by going so, so much over the line. "Remember the line?"

No comments: