Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A TV and a Dish

There's a TV in my apt now. It's an LG Flatron. I also have my own satellite dish that streams a bunch of programs right into my living room without any pesky cables that get stolen, or cable company that claims not to be able to do anything about the sudden loss of service. The installation was quite efficient. Two guys showed up with a dish and some cables and proceeded to drill holes on the walls of my roof and laid out the cable. The service was activated and soon I had Sonali Bendre talking to me about the services provided by my Tata Sky dish. I get 100+ channels in this package but not enough S. Indian Channels. I might need to modify the package. I miss Sun Music and would like to keep myself up to date with the Tamil music. But more importantly, the junk that's on TV these days is horrible. Every channel has four to five tickers with news on them. And the rest is just loud music. I watched four actors in some movie dance to a version of "Rock the Casbah". I need (all) my Telugu Channels so I can atleast watch some movies.

My TV itself is quite cool. At first it looked like the remote didn't work and that I had a patch of color on the TV, but I got the remote exchanged and the color patch disappeared after a "reboot". The TV even has a game built into it!!! It's a modified form of Space Invaders.

On the satellite I get CNN International and can probably get ESPN if I sprung for it, but I'll hold off on it - after all, I doubt I'll get NFL on it. There are a lot of interactive channels on it. For example I can look at Matrimonial ads (Active Matrimonial) and if I like a match, I can send an SMS and get contacted by the other party. There are also some channels called Active Stories and Active Learning. In the absence of my laptop, I think these will do finely.

No comments: