Thursday, September 18, 2008

"I don't give the house out to Muslims" and "Women are stupid"

Yesterday I went looking for flats (apartments in India) again. Met a pretty friendly chap who showed me a pretty good flat for a very reasonable price. He went on to show me a few more places too. Somewhere in there he asked me (in Hindi), "So what are you?" "I don't understand" "I mean, Hindu, Muslim ..." "Oh, I'm Hindu" "Ok good, because I don't want to give the place out to muslims."

I was rather stunned by this blatant display of communalism. I couldn't focus on the next few things he said. But as I digested the info, I had to remind myself that this was India and this should be common (not those feelings, which are common all over the world, including the US, but actually saying them out loud). Would you take a stand and try to educate the guy about political correctness? I didn't. In fact, I was almost certain that he and I had a lot more than religion in common. The dreaded C-word - Caste. That, I'm a lot more conflicted about using to get an advantage. But I'm cheap after all and if it gets me an edge, I'll milk his feelings. Of course, I'll play the card when it is time to negotiating rent.

Yesterday the owner of a particular flat missed my agent and me by a few minutes. As a result both of us were very frustrated because the agent had picked me up from work and driven me around. Today I met the same agent to see the same flat and he found out that the key had been with the people who live right below the vacant flat all along. We saw the flat and as we were leaving he remarked (in English): "Women are stupid." I didn't say anything. He continued in a mixture of Hindi and English, "No I'm telling you, women will always reveal their stupidity. The women can be really smart, she can be an IAS, she can be highly educated. But they lack common sense."

I really don't have a joke here. I really really don't. I mean it. I'm just reporting. I do not endorse this person's views. Believe me.

2 comments:

Kiran said...

Your agent is not alone now...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/terror-gets-local-support-so-no-houses-for-muslims-surat-real-estate.../397071/

Awaiting your expert unbiased opinions :)

Kalyan said...

There is no politically correct way to respond but while I wouldn't go as far as endorsing what they're doing, I can completely understand. They're just playing the odds.